The Second Scenario workshop, on 9 October 2019 built upon the questions asked at the first workshop in July, by asking “What energy mix will there be in a net-zero emissions world?”. Presentations from ENTSO-E, CAN Europe, EEB, ECF, Energy Watch Group and International Council on Clean Transportation set the scene to lead the later discussions. Presenters covered:
- Future energy mix modelling processes by grid operators,
- The ongoing fossil fuel phase-out and decommissioning of the European nuclear fleet,
- The challenges and opportunities of synthetic fuels,
- Financial incentivisation for non-fossil gasses,
- Assumptions on variable and dispatchable renewables.
The afternoon session, “Building our scenario: How to guarantee security of supply and flexibility?” sought to address the restrictions of the current market design and reveal challenges and priorities in enabling flexibility under a new model. Gaps and areas for consideration in upcoming workshops were also identified by participants.